Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Selah

As I am reading through the book of Psalms, I find myself pondering on this one word,

Selah
Selah does not have a translation.Some believe it means forever, others believe that it is like an amen. Another explanation comes from the root word Celah which is used in the Bible to indicate weight as in scale or value (cf Job 28:15-16).
Another modern theory is that it means lift up
This mystery word occurs seventy-one times in the book of Psalms and three times in Habakuk.
It is a mystery word and I love mysteries!
    When I come across something I do not know or understand, I tend to pause and think about it. So let’s look at some examples of that pause that can mean “amen” or “forever” or “valuable” or “lift up”:
Psalm 3:8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.  
Selah (pause-amen-forever-valuable-lift up)
Psalm 4:2 How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?  
Selah (pause-amen-forever-valuable-lift up)
Psalm 4:4 In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Selah (pause-amen-forever-valuable-lift up)
Psalm 85:2 You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins.  
Selah
Hab. 3:13 You came out to deliver your people, to save your anointed one. You crushed the leader of the land of wickedness, you stripped him from head to foot.  
Selah (pause-amen-forever-valuable-lift up)

I encourage you to read through the rest of the Psalms and Habakuk and find the other Selah.

    So why pause and weigh what you read? 
Who has time to pause and weigh in the situation? 
Surely not me! I have children to take care of, a house to upkeep, laundry to clean and fold and put away (yes I do skip the ironing....), groceries to buy and the list goes on and on. There are days when I barely have time to shower and brush my teeth so why would I pause? Because God said so. He asks us to pause, reflect and praise Him seventy one times in the book of Psalm. “From the Lord comes deliverance”, pause, weigh in, amen, lift up your hands and praise Him forever! “You came out to deliver your people, to save your anointed one”, pause, weigh in, lift up your hands and praise Him forever amen! Nothing else matters. Put God first and reflect on His goodness and your world will be a better place.
    There are Selah all through the Bible, written on all the pages right after that verse you read that seems to speak straight to your heart. Take the time to pause, weigh in and praise Him! He is gently whispering to your ear
“be still my child and know that I am God, be still, selah....” 
I am challenging you in the midst of your busy days to pause and remember what matters the most. Pause at the exact moment you think you ought not to or do not have the time. Recite a verse and pause. I guarantee you that this pause will add time to your day, peace to your mind and joy to your heart.
    You are His beloved. No one can snatch you out of His hand (John 10:38). He will never leave you nor forsake you (Deut. 31:6). Take His yoke and give Him yours so you can find rest (Mat 11:29-30). Above all be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10). 
Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!