Monday, September 22, 2014

The Beginning of Wisdom

For those of you who have teenagers, you know that parenting takes on a whole new level. This is mainly due to the fact that teenagers know everything. I do mean EVERYTHING and they no longer need you. My teenagers will politely listen to me and nod their heads but I know they are not listening. How do I know? Simply by observing the results of their actions. At this point it is too late to change the outcome and I can't help but think to myself, "if only you had listen to me".......

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7
What is fear? 
It is the emotional foreboding or dread of impending distress or misfortune. I personally do not want to live in this kind of fear. I would end up stuck in my house for days on end! Thank fully this is not what the Bible refers to. The fear of the Lord refers to an awe-inspiring reverence. I have to confess that most days, I do not live with an awe-inspiring reference for God. I get up and drink my coffee and get the kids ready for school and start tackling that never-ending to-do list. On those days that God is not at the top of my to-do list, I often feel frustrated, exhausted, defeated, angry, desperate, etc... I am more than likely acting like a brat and God is looking down, saying "if only you had listen to me."


The Beginning of Knowledge
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:9

I believe that we will never fully know God until we are complete in heaven. Even the psalmist cried out, "such knowledge is too wonderful for me" (Psalm 139:6). Yet the fear of the Lord, this awe-inspiring reference IS the beginning of knowledge. Every journey has a starting point, every story has a beginning. Our journey with God starts with full reference for who He is. There is nothing greater, better, bigger than our God. NOTHING. He alone is worthy of all our praises. Wisdom has its origin in God, and whoever fears him receives it if he prays in faith (James 1:5). 

Fools
but fools despise wisdom and instructions...... Jeremiah 4:22 talks about those who are unwilling to know God and they are referred to as "stupid children". I do not want to be a brat and called stupid. I feel pretty confident that neither do you. Here is my challenge to you and me this week. Let's practice greeting each day with an awe-inspiring reference for God. Let's greet each day with a praise and a song. Let us pray "God grant me wisdom today".

Download the study for free here

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!