Wednesday, August 14, 2013

This is Our GOD

When the raging storms of life invade...when your energy reserves run dry...when you don't know if you are coming or going...or when all is well & you are enjoying an abundance of blessings...when this life, which is a vapor, runs out...


 Where do you go?


The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe.  Proverbs 18:10

The LORD is my refuge and strength; an ever present help in times of need. Psalm 46

Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.  Job 1:21


The next 3-weeks we will be meditating on different names of God found in the Bible. These names reveal the character and nature of God allowing us to know Him & Trust Him more completely. 

Daniel said concerning end times when many would be deceived by flattery,                               "...but the people who know their God will stand and take action." Daniel 11:32


This is our God...

Elohim -The All-Powerful One; Creator God
Application: God is the all powerful creator of the Universe. God knows all, creates all, and is everywhere at all times. 
Interesting note: El = mighty/strong  him = plural ending, more than one. Many scholars believe this name for God reveals the trinity (Father/Son/Holy Spirit) present together as ONE creating in the very beginning! 
Bible Reference: Gen. 1:1-3; Deut. 10:17; Psalm 68  (Mark 13:19)
"In the beginning Elohim (GOD) created the heavens and the earth..." Gen 1:1
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from theFather, full of grace and truth."  John 1:1,14


El Elyon - The God Most High
Application: He is the Sovereign God in whom we can put our trust. El Elyon has supremacy over all false gods.
Bible Reference: Gen. 14:17-22; Psalm 78:35; Daniel 4:34 (Acts 16:17)
Note: Through out scripture we see that God is in total control of all things. His plans & purpose will not fail. He has control over the rise & fall of all and control over life and death. He is the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-sufficient, omni present, Most High God. This truth about God should make it easier for us to obey Him and to rejoice in all circumstances! (Phil 4:4) Look at the life of Joseph - he was sold into slavery by his own brothers, falsely accused, put in prison - Through all of life's injustices, Joseph choose to honor God and remained faithful. Joseph forgives his brothers and tells them "...you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good...to bring about saving the lives of many. Gen. 50:20 
I will cry to God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me. Psalm 57:2 


El - The Strong One
Application: He is more powerful than any false god. God will overcome all obstacles. We can depend on God.
Bible Reference: Exodus 15:2; Numbers 23:22; Deut. 7:9 (Mark 15:34)
The Lord is my strength and song and He has become my salvation; this is my EL (God) and I will praise Him; my Father's Elohim (God) and I will exalt Him. Exodus 15:2


El Olam - The Eternal God; The Everlasting God
Application: He is the Beginning and the End, the One who works His purposes throughout the ages. He gives strength to the weary. 
Bible Reference: Gen. 21:33; Psalm 90:1; Isaiah 40:28; (Romans 1:20)
...from everlasting to everlasting You are God. Psalm 90:2
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth.  Isaiah 40:28


El Roi - The God Who Sees
Application: There are no circumstances in our lives that escape His fatherly awareness and care. God knows us and our troubles.
Bible Reference: Gen. 16:11-14; Psalm 139:7-12
Note: "God saw it. He knows the sin that was committed against you. And someday He will vindicate you. There is forgiveness, but to those who refuse to receive the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, there is also a day of judgment. And it will be a righteous judgment, for God saw it all.  2 Thess 1:5-10" (Kay Arthur, Lord I want to Know You, )
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. Psalm 139:2
Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, "Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? Luke  5:22


El Shaddai - The All-Sufficient One
Application: God is the all-sufficient source of our blessings. God is all-powerful. Our problems are not too big for God to handle.
Bible Reference:  Gen. 17:1-3; 48:3; 49:25; Psalm 90:2
Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, " I am El Shaddai (God Almighty); walk before me, and be blameless. Gen. 17:1
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness...2 Corinthians 12:9 


Adonai - The LORD; My Great LORD; Master
Application: God is the Master and majestic Lord. God is our total authority.
Bible Reference: Psalm 8; Isaiah 40:3-5; Ezekiel 16:8
Note: We must first humbly bow down to Him as Lord and master to know Him intimately in all other ways!
Elohim Adonai (God the Lord) is my strength; He makes my feet like the deer's; He makes me tread on my high places. Habakkuk 3:19
I said to the LORD, "Thou art my Adonai (Lord); I have no good besides Thee. Psalm 16:2


Action Step:
Each day this week meditate on a different name for our GOD. Ask God to reveal Himself to you in new ways. Trust Him and allow Him to meet your needs. 
"Call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me." 
Psalm 50:15

Prayer: 
Lord, You are the El Elyon - Most High God! Thank you for loving me, sustaining me, and for never leaving me. I want to know you more. Grant me peace, perseverance, and patience as I seek your face. I want to worship and serve you with an undivided heart. Cleanse me and lead me in your ways. To your name be all the glory in my life. Amen

Memory Verse: 
Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, 
because he knows my name. Psalm 91:14



*Resources: Names of Our God, Rose Publishing 2003; Lord I Want to Know You, Kay Arthur, 1992/2000, Blue Letter Bible


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!